Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 6: Organization: Finding Hidden Potential


Just joining in?  Read the entire series {HERE}.


Hello! Welcome to Day 6!  So far we have talked about creating routines that will help us be less stressed and remembering the little things that we can do for ourselves to relax and enjoy more.

This weekend I am going to conquer some organization, a sure stress-buster.  For all of us being disorganized and having clutter causes us stress, wastes tons of time, and takes away from the joy in our homes.

Like many of you, I have lots of crafting supplies, acrylic paints, glues, fabrics, etc.  Some of you have these fantastic rooms or spaces to store them all in--lucky ducks!  There are certainly many of them out there on Pinterest and blogs to dream about.

I have been considering what to do with all of my supplies.  I don't have an extra room to turn into a crafting room or a room that can even be shared for this purpose.  Ashamedly, the 6 years that we have lived in our home I have stored our craft supplies in our master bedroom closet.  Yeppers.  Our closet has these strange "steps" since on the other side are the actual stairs that go down to our main level.  I have never known what to do with this space in our closet because it is awkward and hard to access.  However,  it is rather large and can hold lots of stuff, apparently even crafting supplies.

In writing my posts for the series, I knew that organizational projects had to be part of my posts and organizing all of my craft supplies was top of the list.

In our basement, which I've never spoken about because there's not much to it, (it's a partial basement that is finished and not too big) and although it's not nasty or anything, it's not really decorated or cozy.  However, it does have this massive set of white cupboards that were there when we bought the house.  They are utilitarian-looking, but hold a ton of stuff!  (Sorry the pictures are kinda dark, there are no windows in the basement.)


Today I want to show you about finding hidden potential in our homes.  I found it in these white cupboards.  Here is what is currently being stored in these babies:

My step-son's shoes and hats (since he doesn't have a real closet in his room, which is also in the basement):

 Photo albums, photo boxes, and misc. sentimental/important "stuff" (also needs to be sorted through and decluttered):

 Blankets, pool towels,  more "stuff":

Toys my daughter does not play with anymore:


Board games (these need to be sorted through and the ones we don't ever play need to be donated):


I think I know what you're thinking, right?  LOTS of wasted space.  HIDDEN POTENTIAL TO STORE MY CRAFT SUPPLIES!!!  Will I use all of these cupboards?  No, I don't need them all.  But can I put a couple to good use to organize my little heart out with those supplies?  YES!

This weekend I will be doing just that.  Remember, organization=less stress.

Here is where my supplies are currently being stored in the master bedroom closet.  Not pretty.



Finding hidden potential in your home is like finding treasure.  What spaces in your home are not being utilized to their full potential or can be better-suited for another need?

Stay tuned this weekend for some progress on these cupboards!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...