Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 2: Evening Routines= Less Stressful Mornings


Just joining in?  Read the entire series {HERE}.

Some people are just naturally morning people.  That's not me.  Unfortunately.  I don't mind getting up early to go to work or if I have another obligation it's the getting out of bed thing that really is my struggle. I lay in bed dreading doing little things when I get up.   I have found that doing certain things the night before help me reduce stress in the morning and make it a little easier to get my ol' sleepy head off of the pillow.

Here is a list of things that we all can do the night before to make our mornings a wee bit easier.  Maybe you already do some of these, or maybe like me, you know they would help you have a more peaceful morning, but you are too tired to do them the night before.  Here is my motivation to myself and to you to try at least one of these ideas that is new to you and see if it doesn't help you have a less stressed morning.

1.  As much as possible, clear off your kitchen counters.  Put items away where they go, throw away or recycle unnecessary papers, and put important papers in a file, basket, or other place you have designated "action" items to go.  Clear counters=clear mind.
Source

2.  Wipe down those counters and the kitchen table.  No crumbs=happy mama.

3.  Pack lunches, if applicable the night before.  Yes, it's a pain sometimes, but you'll thank yourself in the morning.  Having a bin or basket in the fridge with all of your lunch items together in one spot to grab and pack is a huge time saver.
Source
4.  Lay out clothes and shoes the night before. I feel like Miss On Top of Things when I do this.  Sounds silly, but it's how my little mind works.  I also have my kids do this, little Miss 7-year old sometimes changes her mind in the A.M., but for the most part, it's a huge time-saver.

5.  Counters again, this time bathroom counters.  Wipe out the sink so toothpaste doesn't have time to form dried landforms in your sink to encounter the next morning.  No landforms=happy mama again and no using heavy machinery to clean your sink.

6.  Pack backpacks, briefcases, totes, the night before, and if they are going in the car with you, go ahead and load them in.

7.  Put dishes away from the drainer or dishwasher.

I figure that doing these tasks altogether would take me 20 minutes max the night before.    I also figure that doing them in the morning would take 45 minutes, because A) We are all grumpy and tired and everything takes muuuch longer  and B) Minds are a little less sharp and more easily frazzled in the morning.  Organizing and preparing at night is the way to go.


New Here?  Click here to see previous posts in my 31 Days series:
Day 1:  Getting Ready to be Less Stressed




Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. These are great tips, Nicky. Even though I stay at home, the mornings are much easier if I have at least some things already prepared ~ especially on the days I have to take my son to school at 6:30 AM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of keeping lunch box items together in one place. Lately I've been packing lunches in the morning but I really need to do it the night before. It really does help to get everything ready the night before. Great tips!

    Lori : )
    Thrifty Decor Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I try to do most of these things, it really makes a difference. Looking forward to your posts this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh. Great tips! I really need to do this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...