Friday, May 11, 2012

Make a Meaningful List

I'm going through a time, my friends.  I have not shared that my sweet, dear mother passed away last June during open-heart surgery.  I've still not totally accepted that, and with Mother's Day this Sunday, everything is especially raw.   I plan to write about her this weekend, so I hope you'll stop back and read how amazing she was.

For the past several months, I've gone through some heart-to-heart talks with myself.  Since Mom's passing, I've really been able to pinpoint what really is meaningful to me, what inspires me, and what makes me feel passionate and alive.   I decided to help myself remember what really makes my heart sing by making a list.  Losing someone makes you look at what your heart is feeling really, really closely.  While I have many blessings, a beautiful family, and much to be grateful for,  I know I have not put myself first and not done enough of what is meaningful to me.  That is one huge reason why I started this blog.  My list is kind of random, and full of small and big things alike.  Notice that most do not cost a thing, nor are they hard to do.  A common theme is nature.  I never realized until recently how important it is to me.  My goal is to refer to my list often, so I can remind myself how easy it is to make myself feel more whole and ignite those little fires in me that the little things in life can easily do.  Some may not be possible every day, but I can do at least one of these every day.

Pinterest

My Meaningful List

Being by water
Listening to water
Praising sunny skies
Looking at pictures of my children and family
Listening to music--especially solo piano tunes
Seeing anything in nature--flowers, trees, animals
Writing
Taking a walk, especially on a trail
Creating--decorating, organizing, making things pretty
Helping others
Getting fresh flowers, planting flowers

Pinterest

Now of course being with my family and friends is incredibly meaningful, but I wanted to make a list of things that didn't rely on anyone else.  How many people are unhappy and unmotivated because they are waiting on or blaming others for their lack of fulfillment?  It is up to each of us to have a meaningful life.  You just have to think about what makes your heart stand at attention.  You know that feeling.  Now, go make your list!





Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said my friend! YOU know how much I love you and support your need to do all those things on that list!! Thinking of you on this very difficult weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...